18 February 2011

Martin Luther (February 18)


"Therefore we make this definition of a Christian: a Christian is not he who has no sin, but he to whom God does not impute his sin, through faith in Christ.  That is why we so often repeat and beat it into your minds, the forgiveness of sins and imputation of righteousness for Christ’s sake.”  
Martin Luther in his commentary on Galatians
                               

File:Martin-Luther-1526-1.jpg
 Martinus Luther. Lucas Cranach the Elder


Luther's 1534 Bible

Activities and Suggested Reading:



*We used the Luther rose coloring page from this Reformation Day Party ideas website and talked about the different parts of the rose and what they represent. It's not a Lutheran page (a community church), but some of the ideas are useful. 

Four weekly activities for focusing on Luther's life and theology (for grade schoolers).  This would be a great project for October, leading up to Reformation Sunday.  I'll try to remember to post the link again next Fall.    

What's your favorite Luther quote?                                                                                                                                                                          

2 comments:

  1. I like the reason he gave for his getting married (if I remember it right): "To please my father, to anger the devil, and to spite the Pope."

    ReplyDelete
  2. "I am more afraid of my own heart than of the pope and all his cardinals. I have within me the great pope, Self."

    ReplyDelete