21 December 2011

St. Thomas (December 21)

“In my Father’s house are many rooms. If it were not so, would I have told you that I go to prepare a place for you? And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again and will take you to myself, that where I am you may be also. And you know the way to where I am going.” Thomas was the one who responded, “Lord, we do not know where you are going. How can we know the way?” To this Jesus answered: “I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me."
John 14:1-6


The Incredulity of St. Thomas  Carravaggio 1602


One reason I like the Church Year is because it keeps us from focusing exclusively on one event or doctrine.  In the middle of setting up nativity scenes and cutting out manger-cookies, hanging star and angel ornaments, here's a feast seemingly far from Christmas.  And yet, Christ was born of woman, under the Law, and Thomas (as witness above) stuck his finger inside that real Flesh.


Check out Pr. McCain's post for more Scripture on and history of St. Thomas.  


Traditions/Activities
"Pie Day" in some parts of the world; prepare and freeze pies for Epiphany (I don't know if this is intented, but it's a nice tie to Thomas realizing and confessing who Christ is after he touched his side)


It is a Charity Day in England.  Prepare food for the poor (or donate to a local pantry).  Whereas on St. Nicholas Day we gave toys and childrens' clothes, today we'll collect food for the poor.


Coloring page.


Any ideas?  I find it interesting that searching for "St. Thomas traditions" shows how sectarian the Roman Catholic church is.  Almost always St. Thomas More or Becket show up.  I think I had to look 3 or 4 pages in to find a Catholic page honoring the Feast of St. Thomas the Apostle.   Even Aquinas is pretty  much ignored.  Writing this blog has revealed who and what holy days are important to contemporary American RC piety.  

No comments:

Post a Comment