28 March 2011

Hot Cross Buns

I've been looking for a good recipe for Hot Cross Buns...that freeze well.  I did almost all my (serious) Christmas baking before December 1st last year, and it was awesome.  I hoped to do the same for Easter. But butter cookies freeze well.  I tried out a few bun recipes (found hither and yon on the world wide webs), and freezing, thawing and reheating didn't treat them well.  They were first soggy, then dry.  Any tips?





Email me your favorite Hot Cross Bun recipe (or other traditional Easter dish), even if you're ignorant of its freezability.  Within the next week I'll post a collection of Holy Week/Easter recipes.

2 comments:

  1. You might try making the dough, letting it rise once, forming it in rolls and freezing then. Then, you would set them out the night before to thaw and rise again and bake them in the morning.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like making these for Good Friday. Wish I had a "favorite" to send you. But I made two batches last year intending to give some away but they turned out a little too dry. I ended up just eating them all myself. I'm not sure what went wrong but I'll try again this year with a different recipe (because dry buns have to be the recipe's fault, not the bakers right?!)

    I'm looking forward to the recipes you find!

    ReplyDelete